The Difference Between Fillers and Injectables

By on 02/01/2016 in Blog, Fillers, Injectables

Filler and injectable are two terms that are often used interchangeably, but there is a difference. A filler is a type of injectable. So the word injectable has a broader meaning of any medication or substance that is injected into the body. One type of an injectable is a filler, and when a plastic surgeon uses the term filler, we mean a material that is used to fill either wrinkles, lines or defects in the skin. There are many types of fillers depending on the exact problem that is being treated. Some fillers I frequently use are Juvéderm or Restylane, which are utilized to treat facial lines, especially the lines going from the nose to the mouth or from the corners of the mouth to the chin. Other areas that can be treated with fillers include increasing the size of the cheeks and enhancing the appearance of the jawline. Other types of injectables treat different cosmetic concerns. Botox is an excellent example of an injectable because it is a medication that is injected into the skin. This medication acts by paralyzing the muscles for a few months to decrease the active wrinkling of the skin, especially in the upper face around the eyebrows and forehead area. For any cosmetic concerns, there are many types of non-invasive, non-surgical injectables depending on the problems to be treated. These treatments may be beneficial for a patient who is not ready for the full plastic surgery experience, but still want to enhance their appearance.